This service is supported by Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) funding from the Australian Government Department of Health, as well as Home and Community Care Program for Younger Persons (HACC PYP) funding from the Victorian Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS).
The District Nursing Service (DNS) is quality professional nursing care provided by Registered Nurses. It is available to people of all ages with any medical problem or disability who choose to be cared for in their home. The aim is to encourage clients to achieve and maintain a level of independence that will allow them to remain at home. The role of the DNS is to also provide support for carers.
A wide range of services is offered including:
- Continence care
- Acute and chronic wound management
- Diabetes management
- Stomal care
- Palliative care
- Medication management including some intravenous medications
- Care of Central Venous Catheters including PICCS, Ports & Hickmans
- Hospital in The Home
Areas serviced include:
- Hamilton and within an 11 km boundary (8.00am – 8.30pm, 7 days per week)
- Dunkeld, Glenthompson, Cavendish, Penshurst, Branxholme and surrounds (a part time weekday service)
- Coleraine and surrounds (8.00am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday).
Care for people in outlying areas who do not fall into the designated boundaries can be negotiated with adjoining District Nursing Services.
- Inpatient referrals can be sent via TrakCare; to be preceded by a phone call.
- Outpatient or community client referrals can be accepted from all sources. Eligibility is determined by a DNS assessment.
- A written referral from a doctor is necessary if any medical treatment is required.
- Phone: 5551 8351
- Email: WDHS.AlliedHealth@wdhs.net
- Hamilton House, Tyers St, Hamilton, VIC, 3300
Last Updated: August 2023