Aged Care Placement Coordinator

June 26, 2012

The Aged Care Placement Coordinator provides information and placement services including respite to all aged care facilities at Western District Health Service. The Coordinator also provides information and support for families approaching the decision of placement. Clients may be referred to appropriate services if required such as HACC services, DVA, and Day Centre.

An assessment by the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) must be completed before you can be accepted into an aged care facility. You can find out further information on the Admissions or from the Coordinator.

Some considerations when thinking about moving into an aged care facility include nominating a power of attorney or a guardian. A power of attorney is a legal document that appoints someone else (the attorney) to act on your behalf in matters of money, property and medical issues. You can make what is called an enduring power of attorney by stating in it that you intend it to continue to be in effect even if you become ‘of unsound mind’.

In the event that you are unable to make decisions about your personal affairs and there is no family (or other) support available, a guardian may be appointed by a State or Territory Government to act on your behalf.

For further information about these see Application for Respite Care or Permanent Entry to Aged Care Homes. It is available at the website below.


No referral is required, however if you have a current ACAS assessment please bring a copy with you.

1 Source: Department of Social Services. Application for Respite Care or Permanent Entry to Aged Care Homes. Last accessed: 12 October 2017. Accessed from:


Last updated 18/05/2016.