A Cancer Link Nurse is a registered nurse who has undertaken additional education in cancer care and specialises in the support of people affected by cancer. The Cancer Link Nurse can provide support, information and links to services. This is a free service.
The Cancer Link Nurse can help to:
- Assist patients to understand their diagnosis.
- Provide information regarding treatment, such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Explain specific tests the patient may need to undergo.
- Provide links between services to assist cancer patients to manage their diagnosis and treatment.
- Provide information and contacts for cancer services: locally, regionally and state-wide as necessary.
- Communicate on behalf of the patient with the doctors and other health providers to ensure the patient’s needs are met.
- Provide cancer education for patients, community groups and health professionals.
The Cancer Link Nurse Service provides an opportunity for people with cancer to discuss their diagnosis and cancer journey with a registered nurse who specialises in supportive care of people with cancer. Consultations can be arranged in the privacy of the client’s home; in one of the comfortable interview rooms at the Cancer Suite; over the phone, or via email. Through an established network of Cancer Link Nurses throughout the Barwon South West Region, access for the client to services including allied health and community based support across the region is timelier.
The Cancer Link Nurse Service is able to provide cancer education for patients, community groups, and health professionals, by way of formal presentation, or informal group discussion.
No referral is required. The Cancer Link Nurse can be contacted directly by people with a cancer diagnosis, family members and care givers.