At WDHS we are often required to administer blood and/or blood products. Sometimes this may be routine or it may be in a critical/emergency situation. The role of the blood transfusion trainer includes:
- Promoting blood transfusion awareness amongst all key staff involved in the transfusion process
- Maintaining staff education, ensuring that the most up to date recommendations and standards are delivered in all education packages/sessions. One of our most important education tools is the online e-learning package ‘blood safe’ incorporated into our blood transfusion competency, for all staff to complete through Solle
- Highlight to staff the importance of informed consent.
- Regular auditing of key areas of the blood transfusion process
- Identify areas for further improvement
- Be available as a key contact for staff queries